This is a short tutorial on how to build a custom ESXi v3.5 Whitebox ISO with Windows Tools (and an Ubuntu-VMImage for VMWare Player) by integrating a new driver (RTL8169 network card) into the Community Driver Pack and integrating this pack into the ISO, too.
See “How to create an ESXi v4 Whitebox ISO with Windows Tools” for creating an ESXi v4 Whitebox.
Use this tools
– UltraIso $29.95 USD / Free Trial
– Ubuntu Server 8.10 for VMWare Player Free
– Bitvise Tunnelier Free for individual use (or Putty, but Tunnelier is preferred)
– WinImage US$ 30.00 / Free Trial
Let’s prepare by downloading the VMWare ISO, the Community Driver Pack and the new driver.
install.tgz from the VMware ISO with UltraIso
2. Use Tunnelier to log into Ubunto and create a new directory called “esxi” (either with SFTP or by command console with
install.tgz to this esxi directory (use Tunneliers SFTP)
Extract the contents by changing to this directory
tar zxvf install.tgz
and remove the tgz file
4. Decompress the VMWare diskimage
bzip2 -d VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0_Update_3-123629.i386.dd.bz2
5. Make a new directory for the Community Driver Pack
6. Upload the Driver Pack into this directory and rename it to
oem.tgz then extract the contents and remove the file with
tar zxvf oem.tgz
7. Prepare a new directory for the realtek driver
8. Upload the
mymods-0.1.tar into this directory and extract the content with
tar zxvf mymods.tgz
9. Then add this driver to the pack
cp mod/r8169.o ../oem/mod
10. Add the PCIID to the
simple.map by using the texteditor
nano (no, we are not using the “thing called vi”. Thanks).
11. Insert the line
10ec:8169 0000:0000 network r8169 at the appropriate place:
10df:fd00 0000:0000 storage lpfc_740
10df:fe00 0000:0000 storage lpfc_740
10ec:8169 0000:0000 network r8169
1166:0211 0000:0000 storage ide
1166:0212 0000:0000 storage ide
12. Now create the updated oem.tgz file and download it to windows
tar cfvz oem.tgz *
13. Now download the
cd usr/lib/vmware/installer/VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0_Update_3-123629.i386.dd file to windows and open it with WinImage (Partition0).
14. Use WinImage to replace the
oem.tgz on partition 0 and save.
15. Transfer the dd file to ubuntu
/esxi/usr/lib/vmware/installer/ and compress it
16. Now recreate the install.tgz file
tar cfvz install.tgz *
install.tgz to Windows
18. Use Ultraiso to replace
oem.tgz (yes, we need to replace this one here, too)
19. Burn ISO and start installing ESXi.
ESXi Tips and Tricks
Realtek RTL8168 driver by Jens Jacobsen
50 Comments to Create an ESXi Whitebox ISO with Windows Tools
About Dennis D. Spreen
- How to fix the “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1.0.dll is missing” error for Delphi 10 Seattle
- VerySimple.Lua 2.0 – a cross-platform Lua 5.3.0 wrapper for Delphi XE5-XE8
- How to compile Lua 5.3.0 as an iOS static library
- How to compile Lua 5.3.0 for Android as a dynamic library
- How to compile Lua 5.3.0 as a Mac OS X dynamic library
- How to compile Lua 5.3.0 for Windows
- How to compile libpomelo for Android
- How to compile libpomelo as a Windows DLL
- Delphi XE7 and iOS error “Unable to mount developer image (e800000e)”
- How to compile libpomelo for iOS
- What Continuous Delivery Means for Testers, QA Teams and Software Quality
- C++ in Action Webinar on Dec 9th: Migrate to C++Builder 10 Seattle
- Interesting use of an IDE plugin: Copy a string from a “Watch” entry to the…
- Brisbane Meeting – December 2015
- The First Elements 8.3 Beta is up
- LiveBindings in VCL – Part 6 – Master Object, Detail TDataSet
- LiveBindings in VCL – Part 5 – Advanced Master Detail Objects
- Any CRC algorithm
- Ensure you know the state of an instance.
- Movement… of blog.